March 10, 2011

Pop Quiz: What Is Your DESIGN Style?

Back in January, I showed you a little quiz on the Better Homes & Gardens website that revolved around your Organizational Style (click HERE if you missed that one). Well, BHG has a 2nd quiz on their website that asks the question, What is your DESIGN style?! And I just had to take this quiz also!

Here are a few examples of the types of questions the quiz asks....

Question #1. Which flower arrangement would look best on your coffee table?


I chose the middle option - Hydrangea. I love that flower. The more muted colors would look nice against the green walls of our living room. And it has a cottage vibe that I like.

Question #4: Which of these chairs would you like to sink into at the end of the day?


When it comes to "sinking" into a chair, I'd probably choose the Slipcovered chair, but I kind of ignored the question and chose the Red and Paisley chair instead. I like the traditional wing-back look. I LOVE paisley patterns. I thought the pop of red color was fun!

Question #8: Which of these is your dream home?


This was a REALLY hard question for me.

A Cape Cod would be my dream vacation home, especially one overlooking the ocean, but it's probably not my "everyday" look.

Colonial homes are just beautiful (I have a family full of Colonial-decorators), but it's a bit too formal for my lifestyle.

So, ultimately I chose the Craftsman, which is actually the style I'm most drawn to 99% of the time. Whenever Joey and drive past a craftsman style home, I have to mention how I would love to build a house just like that! I love the architecture, the natural elements and "craftsmanship" (duh) of these homes.

The Final Results? POLISHED CASUAL



Key elements?
  • Love to mix and match your favorites from several styles. (Yup!)
  • Crisp, fresh, and always comfortable, this approach anchors itself in neutral hues and furniture that isn't fussy but isn't slouchy either. (Yup!)
  • Anything goes, but simplicity is key. (Yup!)

This quiz pretty much nailed me.

At the end of the quiz, you can link over to homes that match your decorating style and get decorating ideas tailored to your style

Here are a few examples from a House Tour that fits my Polished-Casual-style...

Sweet Escape: The master bedroom is full of grown-up glamour. A hint of sparkle on the throw pillows takes the robin's egg blue and mocha brown palette from pretty to spectacular.


Touch of Bling: A mirrored top and shelves add an unexpected touch of glamour to the otherwise plain wooden nightstand. Get this look by dressing up ho-hum furniture with mirrors. The only prerequisite is that the edges are square and the surfaces flat. For a DIY project, use mirrored tiles from a home store. Otherwise, have a professional fit mirrored glass panels to your plain piece of furniture.


Space for All: In the family room, mix formal and casual pieces for a collected look. A traditional skirted sofa is paired with bright prints. At the center of the room, an antique Chinese elm coffee table with a woven top can withstand bumps and spills.


A Perfect Match: Modern meets traditional head-on in the family room. Vintage-inspired lamps, baskets, and plenty of down pillows cozy up boxy upholstery and modern art.



And just for fun, here are a few pictures from a real home near Savannah, Georgia that embraces my polished casual style (I love the look)...








Click HERE to get started on your quiz! And don't forget to share your results in the comments section below!



Note: BHG's website may make you "log in" to get quiz results, but you can elect for them not to mail/email/send junk to you... I haven't received anything from them after adding my name and email. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.